Thursday 23 January 2014

Cartier

Bling Bling

When I was young, my Mom always put me into boys' clothes. I never was the kind of girl wearing princess dresses or any sparkling t-shirts; instead, I played football, got dressed as a cowboy and most of my friends were guys. I am very grateful for this education during my childhood. Obviously, all the "girly" things like shopping, make-up and jewellery came into my scope when I got older and followed my other teen aged friends.

Nevertheless, the pink-and-glitter-free childhood influenced me so far that I cannot totally relate to anything that sparkles in a pompous way. When I went to the Cartier Exhibition in the Grand Palais a couple of days ago, I saw a lot of diamonds, gold and silver used for various types of tiaras, necklaces, rings and brooches. Whereas most of the women around me turned to those little childhood-princesses while gazing at the showcases, I was less fascinated by the look but was rather interested in the (gossip) stories behind every piece. I was astonished to see the historical development of the pieces throughout the centuries and the reasons why men bought this extraordinary jewellery for their women.

Even if you are not the type of girl that dreamt of being a princess when you were younger, I recommend this exhibition to you. The stories behind the pieces can be more exciting than the diamonds put on it...

Queen Elizabeth's brooch
Kate Middleton's tiara for her weeding
Lightshow on the Grand Palais Ceiling

No comments:

Post a Comment