Sunday 22 June 2014

The new art of transport: biking




Throughout my blog it is pretty obvious that I am little sports-fanatic. I go running 2 to 3 times a week, I love watching sport events and walk around Paris for hours. Lately, I decided to even skip the metro system (except to go to work). After only 4 months here, I already have enough of the stinging smell and the sweat of my standing neighbours. Luckily, the city of Paris has established the Velib’ system a couple of years ago. More than 100 bike stations in the entire city give you the possibility to take and depose your bike and to start to discover the city on two wheels. While tourists always haggle with the vending machines, I opted for a yearly pass.

The best…
… is taking your bike at night. Few cars populate the streets, lights illuminate Paris’s buildings, fresh air surround the waving hair in the wind. Instead of taking night buses I love to jump on my bike after parties and take the little tour in the darkness.

The funniest…
… happens to me when I try to get my bike. I don’t know why but the saddles are always at a height that are only meant for 2 meter men. Unfortunately, the regulation is more than difficult as it always stuck. If you see a small woman walking around a couple of bikes trying to change the height of the saddle, it might be me. When she starts to curse, it might be even more me. When she looks for help, it is me. When she starts flirting with the guys next to her, it is certainly me. Honestly, most of my flirts here in the city take place around bike stations.

The longest…
… ride I did so far is from Bercy to my place – it took me 45 minutes which is the maximum time for taking my bike for free (afterwards you have to pay a couple of Euros for each hour). Hey, I am student and don’t pay extra. I prefer getting of my bike before and either change for a new one (with new 45 minutes) or keep walking the rest of the way.

The shortest…
… journey took exactly 1 minute, from one Velib station to the next. The bike I took was so bad that I couldn’t stand it for any longer. Then I walked as I was pissed of by the system.

The most uncomfortable…
… are always the flagging that adorn the city. Never mind which Boulevard I take, I have lots of bumps that keep shaking me. Yet, I kind of stick to the big boulevards as they help me to orientate easily.

The weirdest…
… is the instability of the system. Thanks to their app I should easily find accessible bikes. Should. When I arrive at the station, I often face broken bikes or even no bike at all. Or I find my perfect bike and then my yearly pass isn’t accepted. It is jinxed. There is a gremlin in it. Yet I don’t give up and I usually find "my" bike after having passed two or three stations.  

The prettiest…
… are the bicycle ways along the Seine river or the Bois de Boulogne. I am a nature lover, so every possibility to cycle without the high chance of being hit by a car, are highly welcome. Let the sun shine, take your bike out and finish your trip at the Eiffel Tower with a little picnic – this is how I love my Sunday afternoons.

The most dangerous…
… every time I cross one of Paris’ perilous crossings. Most of them are not equipped with extra bicycle ways so that I keep juggling between cars, motorbikes and buses. Oh and not to forget the aggressive taxis. 

Grab your bike, ready, go!


1 comment: